New Year’s Eve is a celebration of time. A year of your life is about to pass. Another year is queued up.
What are you going to do with the final days of this year?
Don’t waste this time. Yes, the year-end is in sight, but think about an athlete running a track race – they lean forward when they cross the finish line. Champions know how to finish strong.
How to finish the year like a champion
- Take time to…Reflect. How did you spend your time this year? What were your biggest successes? What were your biggest flops?
- Take time to…Purge. Clean up something: your email, computer, mobile devices, office, etc. Enter the new year with a feeling of accomplishment.
- Take time to…Prepare. Next year, what do you need to start doing that you haven’t done before? What did you do this year that you need to stop? What should you continue doing?
Ready to lean forward and finish the race? Here are some tips to implement the suggestions above:
- Make time on your calendar. Copy and paste this article into the appointment(s) you create.
- Ask a colleague to help you clear the decks. Purging is always more fun with another person to help.
- Create a mind map to document your thoughts. Here are some mind-mapping tips.
I’ve written before about the need to punctuate time – to insert some commas, periods, and exclamation points in the “sentences” of our lives. Otherwise, the years blend together in a blur of activity. Don’t let the next few weeks be a smudge. Take time to reflect, purge, and prepare. Lean forward and finish the race.
Are you ready to finally achieve what you set out to do?
Read my eBook Set Goals…even if you’re not convinced you’ll achieve them.
Dr. Melissa Gratias (pronounced "Gracious") is a work psychologist who helps overwhelmed and underappreciated businesspeople be more focused and effective. Since 2007, thousands of people have graduated with honors from her onsite sessions, distance coaching, productivity seminars, and corporate consulting projects. Based in Savannah, Georgia, Melissa is available for nationwide consulting and speaking engagements. Contact her via email at [email protected] or call 912-417-2505. Sign up for her free monthly e-newsletter or visit her website, melissagratias.com.